September 17, 10 a.m.-noon
September 19, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.
If you work in galleries, libraries, archives or museums and are interested in how to engage with Wikipedia, Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is hosting an event on September 17 that is tailor-made for you.
Mary Mark Ockerbloom, Wikipedian in Residence at Science History Institute, will be coming to Vizcaya to demonstrate how cultural institutions are establishing GLAM-Wiki programs to tell their stories and share their collections on a global scale on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.
There will be two events:
- September 17, 10 a.m.-noon: A presentation for Miami-area cultural institutions on the use and impact of Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons and other wiki tools. Engagement personnel from Miami-area galleries, libraries, archives and museums (GLAMs) are invited to this event. Instructions will be given on how to identify, gather and post materials for contribution to these platforms.
- September 19, 10 a.m.-1 p.m.: For folks wanting to apply the skills learned on Sept 17, we’ll give you a day to gather your institution’s source materials and then host an edit-a-thon where we’ll guide you in posting your content. If you don’t have materials of your own, Vizcaya will have some on hand for you to reference and post. Space for this event will be a bit more limited and we’ll have snacks on hand to keep you energized!
Hundreds of GLAMs around the world have participated in GLAM-Wiki (see examples here). Mary began as Wikipedian in Residence at SHI (formerly Chemical Heritage Foundation] seven years ago. She has gone on to mentor folks from dozens cultural institutions in starting their own projects as part of that effort. You can read a case study about the first year of that program.
Here are some examples of Mary’s work, and you can imagine how your institution might benefit from this approach:
- Institutional project page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM/Chemical_Heritage_Foundation
- Making collections publicly available through Wikimedia Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Images_from_the_Science_History_Institute
- GLAM Day Out Wikipedia Edit-a-thon, creating and enhancing articles on LGBTQ topics as part of Pride Month: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Philadelphia/A_GLAM_Day_Out
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
3251 South Miami Avenue
Miami, FL 33129
Main Website: www.vizcaya.org