Working in tandem with a variety of arts and cultural institutions, the Miami Downtown Development Authority (Miami DDA) will show its support for the area’s cultural renaissance through its inaugural DWNTWN Art Days Event. For the first time ever, the Miami DDA, through its Cultural Advisory Group, will partner with virtually every major art and culture institution in Downtown Miami for a two day celebration:
· Meet Your Neighbors: Mary Brickell, Thursday, September 6 from 5:30-8pm
· Miami Art Museum: Free entrance to Rashid Johnson exhibit Friday September 7 from 10am-5pm and Saturday, September 8 from noon-5pm
- Centro Cultural Español: Spanish Photographer Isabel Muñoz’s exhibit “La Bestia” (The Beast), Friday, September 7 from 9am-5pm
- Miami Dade College Gallery at the Freedom Tower: Shutter: Selected photography and film from CINTAS Foundation Fellows Collection, Friday September 7 from 12-5pm
- Adrienne Arsht Center: Food Truck Friday from 11:30am-2:30pm and tours of the center Saturday September 8 at 11am, noon and 1pm
- Miami International Film Festival: Free film screening of “Gerhard Richter Painting” at Miami Dade College, Friday, September 7 at 7pm
- HistoryMiami at Mary Brickell Village: Free Historic Brickell to Miami Circle Walking Tour Friday, September 7 at 6pm
- George Sanchez Calderon: Open studio Saturday, September 7 from 3-5pm
- Artisan Lounge: Open studio Friday, September 7 – Saturday, September 8 from 10am-9pm
- New World School of the Arts: “Exquisite Consequence” exhibition opening Friday, September 7 from 6-9pm
- Beached Miami Art Days Bike Tour: (exact route TBD) Saturday September 8 from 4-7pm
- Artist Misael Soto’s “Picnic” Performance @ Bayfront Park: Misael Soto will be laying out his oversized picnic blanket for the afternoon on Saturday from 11am-8pm
- Art Days Walk Tour: Public art tour Saturday, September 8 at 10am
- Miami Dade Public Library: Jean Chiang: A Journey Called Life Friday, September 7 from 10am-5pm and Saturday, September 8 from noon-5pm
In addition to a variety of cultural events being put on by the partnering institutions, the Miami DDA will feature the “Artist Window Project” at the Historic I. Alfred Dupont Building. The window display will feature a commissioned exhibit of an up-and-coming local artist, opening September 7 thru January 2013.
New activities continue to be added to the weekend’s lineup of events. For the most up to date information please visit www.dwntwnartdays.com.
WHEN: Friday, September 7 – Saturday September 8
WHERE: All of Downtown with three central hubs with DWNTWN Arts Days Information stations at the Arsht Center for the Performing Arts and Cultural Plaza (Miami Art Museum/ HistoryMiami), and in Brickell at XXXX.
During Art Days the Miami Trolley will connect to venues in the central business district that are not currently on the route.